Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I feel the Solicitors working are not on my side. I

Customer Question

Hi i feel the Solicitors working for me are not on my side.
I had a bike accident in Frances on 03 August 2014 and the matter of the claim is still unresolved .I have sent all relevant documents and photographs required by me.They have said that i need an independent doctors examination on the injury i received to my shoulder.
1st question.Why can i not claim interest on expenses as the valuation on the repairs were only valid for 3mths from the time of the accident plus my personal costs.?
2nd .I had to stay in France for an extra week which cost me £260 for accommodation plus a translator,Have no receipt for this but have proof of the lost ferry cost and the price of a flight one week later,I had to stay in France to deal with my statement and the guilty party's.
3rd.Why i feel they are not working with me,is that my 1st medical examination was sent on the 20/4/15 for 8/5/15 then in September they asked for my medical records from my GP and now i have an appointment on 2/12/15.Do you think this is a reasonable length of time before asking for my medical records?.
P.Cawley
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have they said you cannot claim the accommodation cost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes because i have no receipt.as explained
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could you email to***@******.*** please and i have not received a reply from you yet
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi in a claim such as this you should expect to recover all of your out of pocket expenses. It is obviously important that you prove expenses where possible. If you have no receipt then presumably you can ask the hotel to confirm you were staying there and the cost of the stay.
Your solicitor should be speedy in dealing with your claim. A gap of a number of weeks is potentially unreasonable.
I would suggest you phone to ask the managing partner for a copy of the firm's complaint procedure and make a formal complaint.
You can ask for your file to be transferred to another firm if you are not satisfied with the response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,could you reply on my other 2 questions please
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi the only question unanswered is the interest question, is it interest on the cost of repair of the bike?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no,its the valuation of the repairs at the time of the accident was only for a period of 3mths so now it does not apply as the cost has increased due to the time lapse.also am i entitled to compensation for all my expediences so far as this has taken so long
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
You are entitled to claim your actual losses as a result of the incident. However the other side may claim that the expenses are unreasonable. Your solicitor should be starting from the point of trying to recover everything.
They should be acting in your best interests. IF they are not doing this you have grounds to complain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you i now see some way forward.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
No problem, please do take the time to rate my answer. I will be happy to answer your follow on questions.