ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Currently in the early stages of petitioning Whilst I lived with my wife in

Currently in the early stages of petitioning for divorce
Whilst I lived with my wife in her house for the last 3 years (I was not on the electoral register), I did have bills etc. at the address.
Up until 2 days ago I did pay the rates and electricity and a proportion of food bills.
My wide has now denied me access to the property by double bolt and chain locking the front door on the inside and using the rear door, to which I do not have a key
Am I entitled to gain access (without force) to the property to remove my private and personal possession, without a Police Officer being present (as requested by her)
Please advise
John S
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
If the home is your matrimonial home then you actually have a right to reside at the property despite the property not being in your name.
Do you want to reside in the property or else you living elsewhere?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not want to live at the property, I am currently lodging with a female friend (Lodger in my Buy to Let Property)

I am planning to leave the property for good by the end of December 2015 as per my agreement with my wife.

We are looking for a clean break, each being responsible for own debts, we each have separate assets which we intend to keep.

I want reasonable access to remove agreed goods and personal possessions, between the hours at 7:00am and 6:00pm as per her request.

The question of the police being present is to put me off!

John Shutler

Hello John
Thank you for confirming your position for me.
The question of the police being present is also a safeguard for you too. The police can verify that you haven't taken anything from the property that is your wife's and they can also confirm that no incident has occurred. If the police have the capacity to help - then this can actually safeguard you.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you or assist you further.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work