12826847

There .me and my partner are wanting to get married next

Customer Question

hi there .me and my partner are wanting to get married next year ,however my partner has been married before and got divorced 5 years ago and let her have everything as long as she removed his name off the mortgage , I do believe this was agreed in the divorce settlement and she was ordered to do this in reasonable time. However not only has his name not been removed in anyway ( I.E remortgage ) she has only been paying only interest rates , and also missing payments which has now resulted in the mortgage being 3000 more than what the house was mortgaged for however this was placed on the back of the mortgage as my partners credit history was being effected by this. The ex wife has had her partner living with her for the past 5 years they are both at work and he has just recently sold his house. So if I where to get married to my partner would I then take on any debt or bad payment to the house ,we cannot get a mortgage because of this only private renting which costs more than a mortgage, and yes he has three children with his ex two have grown up and moved out the youngest is 14 however I have one from a previous . relationship and my partner and I have one together who is 4 years old. As far as being reasonable goes she has been nothing but awkward so is there anyway she can be forced to sell the house as reasonable time would be 2 tears not 5 I am at my whits end and we are starting to bicker over this please could you help ? many thanks sue
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please can I ask - what does the court order specifically say about your partners name being removed from the mortgage?
Kind Regards
Caroline