Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have just discovered that ***** ***** took a photo of me and

I have just discovered that ***** ***** took a photo of me and my daughter in store (whist paying at the counter using the chip and pin machine), and now is using the photo in the on line internal magazine can they do this without my consent ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How has this come to light?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My daughter was recognised by a friend of a friend who works for ***** *****. She emailed to let us know, the photo is titled "Card campaign for Christmas"
She commented "famous without knowing it"
Clearly I am happy with this !
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
***** ***** is in breach of the Data Protection Act by using these images for this purpose. Where images are captured covertly the person (or company) who captures is required to abide by the Data Protection Act when using those images.
This year the Government has introduced a Surveillance Camera commissioner to deal with complaints about the use of surveillance cameras. Details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/surveillance-camera-commissioner
I would suggest, in the first instance that you make a complaint to ***** ***** about this and then seek advice from the commissioner in the event that they fail to take steps to remedy the situation.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jenney