Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I was wondering if the following could be confirmed

I was wondering if the following could be confirmed as a data protection breach:
I am a client of 3 years to a gym. The coach/owner had started a personal relationship with a fellow client about 8 months ago. He has now announced to us that she will now have access to our bank account details and will now be processing standing orders, payment methods and all other queries related to payments should now go through her.
He has not asked us for our consent and has stated that this is effective immediately. As she is a client like the rest of us and is now in an intimate relationship with the coach, is this a breach of confidentiality?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you saying that the owner's girlfriend who is not an employee will have access to your details?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jenny,

Yes, the owner's girlfriend is not an employee of his and yes he has now given her access to all his client's payment details.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is a serious breach of the Data Protection Act.
You should report the breach to the Information Commissioner.
Details can be found at www.ico.org.uk or there is a helpline to report breaches which is 0303(###) ###-####
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Jenny,

Does it matter that this is a small gym of about 50 clients or does the size of the gym not matter in this case?

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
It makes no difference whatsoever.