75100385

Recently we signed an assured short hold tenancy agreement

Recently we signed an assured short hold tenancy agreement with a tenant to rent an annex to our main house. It was due to commence on 1 November 2015. He paid a holding deposit and we are about to put that into a government approved deposit protection scheme. Prior to occupation he asked if he could move in his kit and, foolishly, we gave him keys so that he could do this. However, we noticed yesterday, Monday 2 November, that he was sleeping in the premises even though he has not paid his initial rent. The matter may be settled amicably but I fear I might have been tricked by a squatter. Am I too late to change the locks or must I apply to the court for eviction?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
No you can't change the locks, you must get a court order. Anything residential means you must have a court order.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.