12826847

My daughter has split with her boyfriend. There are two dogs

Customer Question

My daughter has split with her boyfriend. There are two dogs which are in her name at the vets but he insists he paid for which she said he only paid a minimal amount towards. After a particularly nasty row it was agreed that he could have the dogs for one night and part of the next day. However he has since refused to give them back to her and is using them to blackmail her (it's either him and the dogs or she'll never get the dogs back). He has tried to get the vets to register both of them in his name. Where does she stand on this and how can she get her dogs back. He knows how much they mean to her and the general feeling is he doesn't actually want the dogs but it is a hold over her.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Who purchased the dogs and how old are they?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says he did and she says he only paid about £15 towards them. They are approximately 18 months and 16months respectively.
I'm sorry I started to do this in my lunch but now have to get back to work. Would it be at all possible to contact via my email address***@******.*** as my daughter is at home and sitting near the computer please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Is that true?
I'm afraid that all communication has to be online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused. Is what true?
I didn't realise this would be quite so instant which is why I did this in my lunch hour (or half hour in my case). She knows more than I do obviously. How shall we do this? I can continue in between jobs and answer as best I can or is there a way she can get online with you?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can come back later on when you are home if you like. The question will stay open from your side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She paid £85 towards one, which he paid £15 towards, and she paid £170 towards the other and he paid £30.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will continue this evening unless I can get Lauren to sign in to speak to you. I know I'm being thick but how do I log in again to get straight back to you?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Actually I can give you the answer now.Dogs are property in law however much they mean to us. The effect of that is that there is no order the court can make covering custody or access.What is possible is for her to apply to the court for a declaration of ownership and a consequent possession order. i wouldn't suggest it though because his inevitable defence is that he is the owner and it would seem that he is at least a joint owner.If so, a Judge can make an order that the dogs be sold and the proceeds divided between the owners. That is usually what neither owner wants. Also, the owner with possession can always sell the dog to a friend or buy the other partner out and get the dog back.It might be worth legal action if he is likely to cave in though.Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I think that is all you can tell me really. No idea why she was stupid enough to trust him to give them back. He has previously tried to steal them. He came into our garden and the dogs went out the cat flap and he lifted one of them and climbed over the fence as I had put myself between him and the gate. Lauren got the dog from him and passed her back over to me. Police were involved on that occasion as he was taking them from our property.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is very easy to steal dogs as well.
You just have to call them and they come.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else you wanted to know?