UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My Grandmother, who owned 13 acres of land, died quite suddenly

My Grandmother, who owned 13 acres of land, died quite suddenly seven years ago, she never left a will, my father is the youngest of her three children, one of which died before my grandmother. Now my father has lived and worked the land my grandmother owned all his life,62 years, while both his sisters moved to the south of Ireland more than 30 years ago. Are my aunt and cousins entitled to this land?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Was your grandmother married? If yes, is her husband alive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she was, and no he passed away decades ago
Your grandmother passed away intestate and under intestacy laws, her surviving children share her estate equally as she did not have any surviving spouse.
So your father will share her estate equally with his sister which means that half of the land belongs to your aunt.
It does not matter that your father lived on the land for all these years or that your aunt is in Ireland. She is still entitled to her share of the land.
Hope this helps