LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have been left a sum of money by a partner/friend. The family

I have been left a sum of money by a partner/friend. The family is now claiming part of the estate and in doing so deducting it from my bequest.
I realise that children get priority but wonder if they should sort it out between themselves and not involve me.
You have helped me before and I hope you can again.
Thanks Nancy C. Wagner
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Assuming that there is a valid will then you are on the face of it entitled to what is in the will. In some circumstances challenges to wills can be made (eg if there is a person who is financially dependent on the deceased who is not provided for in the will).
Who are the executors? How do they justify taking from your bequest? Have they explained at all?
I think you have posted another question saying this is Scottish law. I am no Scottish lawyer so will opt out if the question. Good luck with it.