31090051

I have been left a sum of money by a partner/friend. The

Customer Question

I have been left a sum of money by a partner/friend. The Will has been drawn up in Scottish law and the children of the deceased are claiming their portion of the estate but this will be deducted from my bequest. My question: Surely the family should sort
this out amongst themselves and leave my bequest in "totality" as instructed by my partner.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
No that isn't right.
The legal rights of the children of the deceased, which amount to a total on one third of non heritable estate, it, everything except land and buildings, is deducted from the net moveable property BEFORE any bequests are paid and irrespective of what the will says. The bequests, or as much of them as can be paid, are then settled.
So the children have to be paid first, then the will is implemented. That is the law in Scotland.