ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I am a british born subject, in 2007, i meet a ghanaian girl

Customer Question

i am a british born subject, in 2007, i meet a ghanaian girl on the internet, our relationship developed , and i went to ghana in august 2007 and we did , what the ghanaians call the customary right wedding ,its a sort of medi evil type or pre wedding ritual that was on the 02/08/07, i came home to the uk, kept in touch with victoria, then Vicoria and a few members of who i thought was her family, started to ask me for very large amounts of money, the told me that i would get every penny back, they told me that the money was to pay off family members, who were due money from the head of the family for the crops on their section of land, Elais Sfier who was the family head, and was a high member of the poiice force in Accra, i had no reason to dis believe these people as i did not know, elias pretended to be at first on a course in South Africa, and as he said could not get to the bank to pay off these family members, then he told me that he had an heart attack and was very ill, also whilst in South Africa ,he was there supposed to be over 2 years, and i was ask to pay out much more then i though, i lost well over £100,000 pounds, if you add on the double payment for Accomodation the times i was in ghana, 2007 and 2009, food travel and many more payments to elias , victoria and to victoria,s friend, and the man who was pretending to be victoria,s dad, and lastly to the girl pretending to be victoria,s sister charlotte Ansu, you can add another, £50,000 to that, in 2009 on the advice of the immigration lawyers in Cardiff, i went back to ghana, and this time, they persuaded me to do the real wedding i had sent again a lot of money to ghana to cover again all the things i,d want, food lodging etc, when i got there i had to pay up again, anyway, i was taken to a grubby little room ,where i was told it was the court house, to sign this book, which i did this was on the 27/01/09, and the wedding came on the Saturday 31/01/ 2009. they took me for more before i went home, when i did get home ,after a year, my wife who i thought was my wife anyway, told me that her name was not Victoia Ansu, or the first Victoria, her name is***** we had meet for the first time, in 2009, and that we had not done the customary right wedding, they were two different women, but looked similar , Comfort has a growing son as well none of this i know, i on leaning all this, stopped all possible entry into the uk for Comfort, non of them has been here, we did not have sex, not even after the wedding, i came home to the uk, Confort has never warn my name nor the wedding ring since that day, we were only together for a total of 2 weeks in 2009, we have been apart for nearly 7 years her there and myself in the uk, i want to have this wedding scrapt if only from the uk side,all they want me for is money there is no love involved, anyway thank you for your advice
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.
Please may I ask:
Do you have a marriage certificate?
What does it say?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE ONLY A PHOTO COPY
You will need to get an original to be able to petition for divorce.
What does your copy say? Whose names are ***** *****?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ITS A COPY ITS SAY LICENCE NO dmcb/sybaygh0011009/09marriage celebrated at distric magistrates courtno(###) ###-####09 whem married 28/01/09
names david ***** ***** victoria ansu
full age of minor both full age
conditions ordinance marriage
rank or profession me unemployed her haidresser, but she was not
residence both sunyani
father name me ***** ***** HER JOHN KWAKU ANSU, THIS IS NOT RIGHT
OCCUPATION OF FATHER MINE MINER, BUT HE HAD DIED HERS FARMER THAT NOT TRUE EITHER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
COMFORT HAS BOTH I HAVE ASKED HER FOR ONE BUT SHE WANT SEND IT, ITS BETTER TO APPLY TO THE COURT AT SUNYANI GHANA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OR EVEN GO TO GHANA AND GET ONE, BUT MY LIFE HAS BEEN THREATENED THREE TIMES TO DATE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK IF I NEED A CERTIFICATE, HOW CAN I GO ABOUT THIS AND WHAT ARE MY CHANCES
Thanks for this.
I can by all means provide you with information how to get divorced.
I am however very concerned that the name doesn't actually match the name of the person that you married. Did you ever see any of your wife's documents to verify her true name?
Does your marriage certificate look genuine?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ITS A COPY I CANT TELL, AND YES THE WOMEN I DID THE CUSTOMARY RIGHTS WEDDING WITH, HER NAME WASN,T VICTORIA ANSU EITHER, COMFORT WAS THE SECOND LADY, AND HER NAME IS***** WEDDING CERTIFICATE AND THE REGISTRAR,S CERTIFICATE, ALL HAVE VICTORIA ANSU, ON THEM BUT NETHER WOMAN,S NAME WAS VICTORIA ANSU THE LADY I MARRIED OR THE FIRST LADY,THERE IS ONE OTHER THING I WANTED TO KEEP EVERY THING LEGAL, BEFORE I WENT TO GHANA IN 2009, I WENT TO MY OWEN REGISTRAR HERE IN WALES TO OBTAIN A BLUE CERTIFICATE FOR MARRIAGE OUTSIDE THE EU, NOW THE CHURCH IN GHANA SHOULD HAVE ASKED FOR THIS CERTIFICATE BUT NO ONE SAW IT I STILL HAVE IT HERE, AND ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS CERTIFICATE, IT SAYSTHAT THE MARRIAGE WAS TO BE SOLEMINZED ON OR BEFORE THE 27/03/2009 IT STILL HASNT BEEN SOLEMNIZED, FROM THE WEDDING DAY TO TODAY THE 04/11/2015 ALMOST 7 YEARS SO NOW WHERE DO WE STAND. ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HER PASSPORT SAYS, SURNAM ANSUOTHER NAMES VICTORIA BAILEY NATIONALITY GHANAAINDATE OF BIRTH , 20/JUNE/ 75, COMFORTS BIRTHDAY IS ***** 07th OF THIS MONTH THE PASSPORT NUMBER IS *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ANY DOCUMENTS CAN BE FABRICATED IN GHANA
Your situation is difficult.
If you haven't married Comfort then you cannot divorce her.
The question is who have you married and if this marriage was legal.
My advice is that you first make enquirers with the district magistrates which is detailed on the copy you have. You need to find out if they have a record of the marriage.
If the marriage is not a legal marriage - then you don't need to consider divorce - you don't have to do anything as you were never married in the first place.
Let me know how you get on with your enquiries.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE CUSTOMARY RIGHTS WEDDING WAS DONE WITH THE FIRST LADY HER NAME WAS SUZZY ?THE CHURCH AND REGISTRY ,OLR COURT ROOM SIGHNING WAS ALSO DONE WITH COMFORT, BUT SHE USED THE NAME OF VICTORIA ANSUTHE VERY FACT THAT COMFORT DOES NOT USE MY NAME OR MY RING TELL ME THAT THERE,S SOMETHING ELSE AFOOT HERE
It all sounds very underhand to me. I am doubting that anything was genuine.
You should really consider reporting the fraud in respect of the monies you had to pay to the Ghanian authorities so that they can investigate.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE A FEW MORE QUESTIONS TOP ASK YOU, AS I CAN NOT GET THE E/MAIL ADDRESS OF THE REGISTRAR IN SUNYANI GHANA, WHERE I WAS MARRIED ,LETS ASSUME FOR A MOMENT THAT I AM LEGALY MARRIED ,AND THE WEDDING WAS REAL, WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS THIS,
1, TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THAT COMFORT HAS BEEN NOT BEEN HERE IN THE UK EVER, , AND DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF MONEY STOLEN FROM ME, I CANT SEE THE BRITISH EMBASSY EVER GIVING HER A VISA , OR ALLOWING PERMANENT RESIDENCE HERE IN THE UK.
2, TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THAT WE HAVE TWO DIFFERENT WOMEN WHO , ONE DID THE CUSTOMARY RIGHTS WEDDING, AND THE OTHER DID THE MAIN WEDDING, UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, THAT FRAUD ,AND UNDER GHANAIAN LAW THEY NEED BOTH.
3, EITHER OF THE WOMEN ARE NOT VICTORIA ANSU, AS THAT NAME WAS MADE UP.
4 ,BOTH WOMEN HAVE LEGAL DOCUMENTAION UDER A DIFFERENT NAME NOT VICTORIA ANSU.
5, BEARING IN MIND I HAVE SAVINGS, HOME, PENSION ETC, WHAT CAN COMFORT CLAIM UNDER BRITISH LAW.
6, SURELY IF I DID WHAT THEY HAVE DONE HERE, TO LEGAL DOCUMENTATION IE, FRAUDULENT MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, BY ENTERING WRONG INFORMATION I WOULD BE JAILED.
7, IF THE MARRIAGE WAS A SCAM, THEN SURLY ALL WE NEED DO IS HAVE IT ANNULLED HERE??THANKS ***** *****
Hello David
Thank you for your message.
I hope your are well.
Answers as follows:
1) sorry I'm not an immigration lawyer so I don't know the answer - it does however concern me that the name on the marriage certificate is not Comforts name - how would immigration tie this up?
2) if this is the position under Ghanian law - then this could be the confirmation you need that the marriage is not legal. You should pursue the Ghanian authorities for confirmation on this.
3) were legal documents provided for the name Victoria? By whom? Where they required at either ceremony?
4) as 3 above
5) if Comfort isn't the person named who you married then Comfort cannot make a financial claim as she did not legally marry you.
6) I agree - you need to report this as fraud
7) if the marriage wasn't legal then it as though you were not married at all. This would be the easiest route for you and you need to get written confirmation if this is the case.
See this link for further information on annulment. The difficulty you have is that fraud is not included as a ground and even if it was you still need to serve the respondent with the court papers - which you are going to struggle to do - given that Comfort is saying she isn't Victoria.
https://www.gov.uk/how-to-annul-marriage
If you are legally married - then you are going to have to issue divorce proceedings - then ask the court for a hearing and explain the situation seeking the courts guidance and directions. It would assist to have evidence of the fraud.
Kindest Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hellothe legal documents that we had ,was only the marriage certificate that we got on ,i think it was Tuesday the 27th of January , the certificates says the 28th but i,m sure it was the Tuesday, all we did was sign a book that was all , in fact it wasnt until later i learned that it was the wedding and of course the Saturday was the wedding ceremony where nothing was signed.i said that this marriage was not Solemnized, well yes it wasn,t Solemnized, we have never to this day, had Sexualy intercourse, not fully, but i did do oral on her just once, does that make any difference ??thank you for all your help, and i wish you a very merry Christmas, and a prosperous new year,, i,m off to Cuba in 2 weeks for a break
Hello David
The problem with Nullity is that you still have to petition even if your marriage wasn't consummated. This petition would still have to be served which isn't possible. Consummation has been interpreted as meaning 'ordinary and complete intercourse'. While ordinary intercourse has not been defined, it seems to require 'full and complete penetration'. You could still petition nullity and ask for directions from the court. The proceedings are no quicker than divorce.
Have a great holiday!
Kind Regards
Caroline