How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 846
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I had the following discussion with your colleague a few

Resolved Question:

Hi. I had the following discussion with your colleague a few days back:
I have since met the lawyer and the client's representative and they have offered me a small compensation, but I think I need to hire a lawyer/barrister to get a clear opinion on the case. For this I contacted my conveyance firm who are happy to get such an
opinion at a cost. My concern with them is that I am finding it difficult to trust them because (a) they did not respond to seller's lawyers letters copied to them for a long time and when they did respond after discussing with me, the content was slightly
different from what I had agreed with them and did not ask for what I wanted (b) the seller's conveyance firm has made a mistake here and they claim that my conveyance solicitor should have picked up the mistake. The fact that they are complicit in this error
may make them work not completely in my interest. So the question for you is whether I am right in worrying about it and therefore should I go to a completely new law firm for this opinion (who will then ask my conveyance firm all sorts of info which they
will have to provide and there may be a cost to that that I may have to bear?). Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Although I do not specialise in conveyancing - I can confirm to you that if you have any issue in respect of your current solicitor then you are correct in considering instructing a new firm of solicitors to instruct a barrister for an opinion for you.
Your new solicitor will only require you to sign a form so that your files can be transferred to them. They won't have any discussions about your case with your current solicitor.
You can also now instruct barristers directly without the need for a solicitor - this is know as direct access and quite often saves you money as you are cutting out the solicitors fees - see this link:
If you are disatisfied with your current solicitors - then you should consider raising a formal complaint - directly to the firm in the first instance and if you are still not satisfied - then with the legal ombudsman.
Kind Regards
Positive feedback is gratefully received.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Caroline. Would my solicitor charge me for making the file of documents that the barrister will ask for?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Again
I hope you are well.
It depends how much work is involved in preparing the brief for counsel. One hour should be more than sufficient so no more than £250 really.
If you want to save costs - you could speak with a direct access barrister for a free chat - let them tell you want they want to see - then send them direct.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Caroline. I did go on the website and connected with a few directly. Some of them have responded asking for papers to review which I will do. Regards.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome - glad I could help.
Kind Regards
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you