Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

My ex partner is refusing to sing a restriction form which

My ex partner is refusing to sing a restriction form which is preventing me from selling and buying a property. He loaned me some money in 2010 and this has been paid back I have bank statements but he is saying he doesnt know what the money is for. Please advise.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I would be minded to get a solicitor to write to him formally threatening to take him to court for his failure to sign the restriction - that the sum owed has been paid and unless he deals with this within say 14 days you will have to take this matter to court for it to be resolved and you will seek the costs of such an action together with any damages. The cost of such a letter would normally be about £100. Happy to discuss - please rate positive .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ex partner loaned £25000 in 2010 to buy a property for my mother. We separated in 2011 and I paid him back in full over a year. I am buying a new house and my solicitor has told me there was a restriction form signed for this loan by my ex. I am hoping to complete by the 27th November. If this form is not signed will it hold the sale up.
Then I would suggest that your solicitors write to him today threatening the court action and only giving him 7 days to reply. They can obviously stress that you will look to recover any losses from him should it not be sorted. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a very clever man . I just need to know can he stop this sale for me if this form is not signed.
Yes. The restriction would need to be resolved prior to completion.Hence the urgency of getting this matter sorted and the suggestion which I have made to help. Please rate positive