Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I have a problem! Me and my boyfriend broke up before

Customer Question

Hello I have a problem! Me and my boyfriend broke up before 6 months and we have a doghter, and she live with me. All 6 months he was not interest how she is doing, but now I get a letter from his lawyer that he wants to take a parental responsibilities about the child,but I disagree with that, and we will go to court but I don't have a lawyer, what I should do? In the past he makes to much mistakes, and he was drinking to much, and I don't trust him, because he have bad past. I need a lawyer, I am desparate. Thank you
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I will try and help you. The starting point would be to point out that as his mother you already have PR. If he can show that he is the father and his has been committed to the child then the court will usually also give him PR. The bigger issue is what contact he will have with the child going forward. You do not need a lawyer for these type of cases although it is always better if you can afford one. There are some excellent books on this topic on Amazon on - How to represent yourself in the family court for about a tenner. If he takes the matter to court he would be applying for a child arrangement order and you would be able to raise with the court his drinking. If you have any questions then please advise and rate positive. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He want to take our child ower the weekends, I always let him meet our doghter but only if I am together with her,.and I don't want let him doghter to another city.

That makes perfect sense. You do not have to agree to a change. He would have to go to court and I think you would have a very good prospect there - so should not be frightened. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He want go to the court, no me. And he will I, am waiting a letter, that I need go to the court. When we broke up I was pregnant again and he sad to me, get your things and go away from this home. I have a prove from hospital, can I use this on court aswell? He lost his driving license, because his was drinking.

You really have nothing to worry about should it go to court - so don't let him bully you. It would need to go to mediation first anyway. Please rate positive
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience: Over 25 years experience in law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help!

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How old is your daughter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is 2 years and 6 mounths old

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I note that you have accepted the answer my colleague gave so I shall opt out