29905560

3 Years ago, my son started his London Taxi Knowledge.

3 Years ago, my son started his London Taxi Knowledge. His criminal record was checked and it was clear. He has now finished his Knowledge but before his gets his badge they are doing one more criminal record check. During the time he was doing his Knowledge there was an altercation and he was arrested and released on police bail. The police telephoned him subsequently and stated that no action would be taken and he didn't have to appear at the police station. Will this be on his record now? If so, can a Taxi Authority prevent him from getting his Licence?
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you know what level criminal check he is going to have to take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI IT WILL BE A FULL CHECK LOCAL POLICE
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ok as a taxi driver he will likely be subject to an enhanced check, which is the highest level of checking as he will be exposed to young persons and vulnerable adults in his job. Such checks show up not only actual convictions and cautions, but have space for any ‘additional information’ which exists on local police intelligence and is deemed relevant to the application. The fact that he was arrested and released on bail means that this information will almost certainly be against his name on local police intelligence and will be available for inclusion on the check. However, that does not mean it will be included and as mentioned this only happens if when preparing the check the police believe that it is relevant to his application. So it is a bit of an un certainty – one person preparing the check on one day may believe it is relevant and include it, another on a different day may believe it is not and exclude it. In terms of the risk of not being offered the licence, that is a possibility if they believe that this makes him unsuitable for the job., however this was just a minor altercation and he was not charged or convicted of anything so I would hope that it does not affect his prospects in any way. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you