Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I run a small roofing business ,we have been victim

Hello, I run a small roofing business ,we have been victim of invoice fraud .
I raised an invoice to my customer and sent it via hotmail not knowing my email account had been hacked the fraudsters quickly sent copy's of invoice but with different bank details as a consequence and because it came from my email address my customer paid the fraudulent account details .
This happens six weeks ago and my customers says hi bank have only recoverd part of the money they have given him no written confirmation that as far as they are concerned the matter has reached conclusion.
My question is ,am I within my rights to peruse him for the remaining balance and should I just take him to court ?
The banks will give me no information because of the data protection law and I only have my customers say so on what's happening .
Hope you can help.
Kind regards *****
Canford Roofing ltd
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****,How much was lost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is about £6000 outstanding
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still working on the answer ?
Yes I am. You are completely within your rights to pursue the claim against him on the basis that you have not been paid. This is a matter where you would take him to the small claims court for the money owed - www.moneyclaim.gov.ukHappy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From a legal point , open and shut case ? There is no dispute he owes me the money
It seems pretty straight forward to say the least. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And you are a qualified solicitor ?
Yes