Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

If a law firm is representing one should they tell the client

If a law firm is representing one should they tell the client that the lawyer they appoint to deal with the case is not actually an employee of that firm but was the employee of another firm. Were they not obliged to give me some idea of his expertise in that field and his ability to deal with the case.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a solicitor based in London. I’ll be happy to assist you with your question.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Please explain the situation in a little more detail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was sent to PM Law by my house insurance firm over trespass by a my neighbour into my property.which I lost .
This matter is being dealt with by solicitors at present
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
The law firm has a duty to tell the client about the person handling the claim and their status. There is a specific rule in the Code of Conduct about this - bear with me and I will get it for you.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
The Solicitors Regulation Authority handbook - Code of Conduct - States at IB (1.3) - ensuring that the client is told, in writing, the name and status of the person(s) dealing with the matter and the name and status of the person responsible for its overall supervision....failure to do this is, therefore, a breach of the code of conduct and the firm/individual can be subjected to disciplinary action.