Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My father passed away in February he was an Irish citizen married

Customer Question

My father passed away in February he was an Irish citizen married to a french citizen and they have 2 children, as his first child from his previous marriage am I entitled to claim against his estate.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Where was your father living at the time of his death? Where was he domiciled? Was it in Ireland, the uK or France? Did he still consider himself domiciled in Ireland or had he acquired a domicile of choice in the UK OR France?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My father was living in France for several years and had bought several properties in France one of which was his main residence with his family.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Here, French law governs as within the EU it is the domicile of the deceased as of the date of death which governs inheritance. Your father clearly had taken up French domicile, even if he was an Irish citizen. So, I know French law requires mandatory shares for all members of the family, including the children. However, You will need to ask a question under French law on this website in order to determine what share you receive in your circumstances. I am qualified in both Irish and UK law, but I don't have a French law qualification. So you need to ask a specific question off a French law expert to get your definitive answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your excellent advice
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
3. You are welcome.