29905560

We bought a hamster 27th August 2015. I placed our hamster

Customer Question

We bought a hamster 27th August 2015. I placed our hamster in a small animal boarding kennel on Friday 23rd October till Tuesday the 27th. On Friday the 6th of November, 14 days later our hamster has given birth to a litter. The gestation period for Syrian hamsters is 16 - 18 days. Since August the hamster has only been in our home, were it is the only pet, or at the boarding kennel. Syrian hamsters or meant to be solitary animals and we were assured the hamster would be left in it's cage, they put a cable tie round it. I know our hamster seems to have given birth prematurely but we have not been following pregnancy care as we did not know. The hamster should have had a protein rich diet and not been handled. Neither of these have happened and with two children handling her could explain the premature birth. I don't know what I want really but feel the company should take some responsibility as they have just said that they house hamsters solitary in their own cage, and say they didn't have any male hamsters there that weekend.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello have you suffered any losses as a result?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only born last night, will not cost much extra in food and bedding. May have to buy cage etc if my son decides to keep one so maybe £60-80 with bedding and extras. More worried emotional effect on my daughter as they are premature the hamster is more likely to eat them. The cage is in her bedroom and we can't move it or it will disturb the hamster. Also the fact that it shouldn't have happened in the first place
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Whilst I understand your position and disappointment, legally your options would be quite limited. You could of course argue that they have been negligent in their actions and did not do as instructed, but in such claims you can only pursue them for actual losses you have incurred as a result of their negligence. So you have the right to pursue them for example for costs incurred in having to care for the new litter, but even that may be pushing it. Also with the level of costs you would be pursuing. I wold not say it is worth taking this to court because you will have to pay court fees and spend time pursuing the claim so overall it may not be worth it. You can of course approach them directly and ask for compensation (perhaps the fees you paid for looking after the hamster) and an apology but be realistic in what else you can pursue them for and that it won’t really be much more than that. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thanks, ***** ***** clarified the situation
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best