Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I was putting fence posts alongside my neighbours wall

Hi, I was putting fence posts alongside my neighbours wall which is falling down and hit and pierced a yellow gas pipe going into my garage, the pipe was barely 7" deep, even the engineers agreed that it was very shallow, I have now received a Bill for £729.99 how do I stand if I refuse to pay this? and could I claim on my insurance?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
You are liable for the damage unless you can prove that the gas company was negligent or contributory in their negligence in placing the pipe so low. The only way to make this allegation is to get the opinion of an expert.
I would start by writing to them and say that they must swallow the cost, as their engineers advised you that they were negligent in installing the pipe so low in the ground. Say that if they do not give you a full explanation of what happened you will make a complaint to their regulator Ofgen.
Your insurance may cover his but you will have to check the policy.
AJ