12826847

I bought a new television set from a well-known department

I bought a new television set from a well-known department store. 32 days later it broke down and the store would not consider replacing it but offered to repair it. Is this correct? So far we have been without the TV for over a week.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Under the Sale of Goods Act you have the right to a refund, repair or an exchange unless the merchant can show that one or the other is disproportionately expensive for them. Usually that is what they rely upon with products like this of high value.
Therefore, they are entitled to a reasonable attempt at repair and one week is not excessive I'm afraid. Much longer and you could challenge on that basis.
You can always complain to trading standards and they might cave in at that point.