75100385

I have been a housing association tenant 5

Customer Question

I have been a housing association tenant for over 5 years with an intermediate rent tenancy agreement.
On October 15th 2015 I received a letter from my housing association dated the 12th October 2015, stating they are going to sell my property, I have the option to either buy a share or in full, a decision will need to be made and registered by 16th October with the sale completed by February 2016, and if I am not in a position to purchase, I must vacate the property within 2 months.
I would like to purchase the property next year but not as soon as February 2016. (In the sumer of 2o15 I asked my housing association if if i could buy my property, they said no but perhaps this would change in 2016).
What I would like to know is whether i would be entitled to any type of discount being a social housing tenant and if there was some type of policy/law pending post February 2016 which is causing my housing association to want to sell the property so quickly?
I would also like to know if I have any right as a social housing tenant to stay in the property longer and therefore delay the sale until perhaps the summer of 2016.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
No. Housing association tenants are not entitled to a discount. This only applies to council houses. You also don't auger the right to stay longer and delay the sale. They are entitled to terminate and give you notice I am sorry to say. You can ask them to delay it and see whether the will, but they are under no obligation to do so.
I am sorry. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please ?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thank you. Please do remember to rate so the site credits me for my time, thank you.