75100385

There, I'm looking to invest in a start-up but I'm

Hi there, I'm looking to invest in a start-up but I'm worried about the risk that the founders will eventually leave the company and join another company leaving investors hanging. I'm basically concerned that, in the event that the company becomes valuable,
it would be better for a potential acquirer to 'entice' the founders by paying them to jump ship as opposed to paying the price of the entire company he's looking to purchase. Is there a legal way to impose as a condition to invest to tie the founders of a
start-up to the start-up and mitigate this risk? Regards
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Will you be having a Directors or Shareholders agreement please?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you please call me today when you have the chance?Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sure.
alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What you effectively need is a contract with them and a non competition and non disclosure clause in it. This would mean that if they were to leave (which you cant stop them) they can't set up a rival business doing the same thing,
So that is what you need. When you get a Solicitor to draft up the contract, make sure these two key items are in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this Alex.
Is there any other way to tie a founder up to his company.
I want to avoid them poaching key staff (2 founders and one employee) too..Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed - sadly there is no other way. You could give them share options so they are less likely to walk away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please send me an example of legal wording of a non-compete and non-disclosure clause to add it to the contract with the company?
thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Just that they will not disclose or use any information gained within the company to set up a rival company directly or indirectly and that they will not set up any business that competes directly or indirectly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,following up from my last query concerning non-compete clause, the company told me that they have a director service agreement. I've copied the bit which covers the relevant topic below. Is it enough? Thanks20. RESTRICTIVECOVENANTS20.l In order to protect the Confidential Information and business connections of the Company and each to which he has access as a result of the Appointment, the Employee covenants with the Company that he shall not:(a) for 12 months after Termination solicit or endeavour to entice away from the Company the business or custom of a Restricted Customer with a view to providing goods or services to that Restricted Customer in competition with any Restricted Business;(b) for 12 months after Termination be involved with the provision of goods or services to (or otherwise have any business dealings with) any Restricted Customer in the course of any business concern which is in competition with any Restricted Business;(c) for 12 months after Termination solicit or endeavour to entice away from the Company the business or custom of a Restricted Partner with a view to receiving services from that Restricted Partner in competition with any Restricted Business;(d) for 12 months after Termination be involved with a Restricted Partner with a view to having business dealings with that Restricted Partner in competition with any Restricted Business;(e) for 12 months after Termination in the course of any business concern which is in competition with any Restricted Business, offer to employ or engage or otherwise endeavour to entice away from the Company any Restricted Person;(f) for 12 months after Termination in the course of any business concern which is in competition with any Restricted Business,employ or engage or otherwise facilitate the employment or engagement of any Restricted Person, whether or not such person would be in breach of contract as a result of such employment or engagement;
(g) for 12 months after Termination, be involved in any Capacity with any business concern which is (or intends to be) in competition with any Restricted Business;(h) at any time after Termination, represent himself as connected with the Company in any Capacity, other than as a former employee, or use any registered business names or trading names associated with the Company.