Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

If I have rented grazing land last 10 years from the

If I have rented grazing land for the last 10 years from the land owner and have only ever had a verbal agreement. What should I expect from the land owner if he wanted my animals off the land and if I am given notice who should give me this notice and how?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. You are entitled to "reasonable notice" to take your animals off the land. In this situation, reasonable notice would be one month's notice if this was a yearly tenancy extended every year. This notice can be given verbally as the agreement has only ever been verbal. The notice should come from the owner of the land or his agent. Here, so long as the agent clearly identifies himself as agent of the owner, that is good notice. 2. However, if this was not a yearly tenancy, but instead was for many years at the outset, then you would be entitled to two months notice to take your animals off the land. This is because what constitutes reasonable notice varies according to the duration of the tenancy agreement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that helps a little