13262538

If I have been using a piece of property than twelve

If I have been using a piece of property for more than twelve years and have not been paying rent for that property and a member of the family is now asking me to pay for that property what are my options
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Could you explain a little more about the situation please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you would like to know. The land is a small piece of land 1732 Square Feet.
I have been storing some tanks on this land for 15 years now. His Grandfather had told me that
I could use the land for as long as I wanted and there was no rental Agreemnet.
Now this Young man want me to pay him for the land. I have been told that accirding to the
British common Law that because I have been using this Land for so many years and paying the applicable
Taxes I now Own the land in question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long do I have to wait for a reply . If I do not get a reply in the next 10 minutes then I would Like to Cancel my Application.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for delayWhat taxes have you paid on the land?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Have been paying what is called a "House Rate" tax which is a yearly tax by the Village Councel.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that in fact that you have been using the property and paying that tax does not mean that you are now the new owner
The laws regarding "squatters rights" have tightened anyway - but even years ago the fact that you were using the land with specific permission from and the knowledge of the Landowner
Obviously if the land has now changed hands then the new owner can renegotiate the agreement BUT it is possible that the agreement made by the previous owner is binding but that will depend on the contents of the will
I hope that this is of assistance however disappointing
Please ask if you need further details