ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

A door to door roofing firm informed me my gutter was unsafe

Customer Question

A door to door roofing firm informed me my gutter was unsafe and I agreed a price with them to do the work. They informed a firm with whom I verbally agreed at a price to do the scaffolding. I have since discovered by a private roofer that there is no problem with the gutter so I have been misled. All agreements were verbal. Am I still liable to pay roofing firm and scaffolder?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please may I ask:
- has the 'apparently needed work' been undertaken?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No work undertaken as yet.
Thank you for your response.
If it was only a verbal contract with both companies then there is unlikely to be any conditions that you should pay without work having been completed and in any event it appears that in respect of the roofing company that they were fraudulently suggesting that work needed to be completed when it did not.
You should contact both companies and tell them that work is not required and in fact is not even necessary.
If they disagreed then they could make a claim to a civil court - but to be successful they are going to have to prove an condition of your agreement would be that they received a cancellation fee if you cancelled - highly unlikely on a verbal agreement. Also doubtful they will even try to claim given the expert you have saying the work isn't necessary.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. One further point both companies wanted "cash in hand".
Sounds very dodgy to me!
If you have any trouble with them - call the police. It is also worth contacting the police now about the attempted fraud as it's likely you are not the only ones they have approached.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your excellent advice.
You are very welcome - I wish you all the best
Kind Regards
Caroline