Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

The detached house next door no18 wall has come down ,the wall

Customer Question

The detached house next door no18 wall has come down ,the wall is tied on to there house but they say it is a party wall .I live in no*****NW6 3pn is he right.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am and would be most greatful .
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Can you better explain the situation. Is the wall, which is alleged by someone to be a party wall, along the boundary between the two houses - yours and no.18? Who constructed this wall? Has it been the boundary? How is the wall "tied on to their house"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The two Victorian detached houses standing in the back garden facing the building on the left the wall runs right on to our building on the right there is a ally to our back garden and the wall runs on to the brick of their building .
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. From what you say, this is indeed a party wall, as it runs along the boundary between the two houses. I appreciate it runs on to the brick of their building. However, as the alley to your back garden is part of your land, then this means the wall is a party wall.
3. The impact of the wall being a party wall is that both yourself and your neighbour in No. 18 bear a joint responsibility to replace this wall. Accordingly, you should get together with your neighbour and agree some plan for reinstatement and how to discharge the costs associated with rebuilding the wall. Be aware that if you wish to re-instate the wall yourself, that you can then charge your neighbour half the costs of doing so. Obviously, this also means the your neighbour can do the same.