Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Can I be expected to make back payments of ground rent for

Can I be expected to make back payments of ground rent for 4 years if I have only just been notified of the increased amount
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. They cannot retrospectively back date increases to the ground rent charges, but they can collect ground from you going back as far as six years if it has not been collected. This includes arrears incurred by the previous owner. Can I assist you any further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello AJ

I think you have given me a successful answer. The letter from the management company says "......we have just been informed by the freeholders that the ground rent should have increased in Dec 2011. With this in mind we have to invoice you for the fours years where we have charged you at the old rate......." My interpretation of your reply is that I do not have to pay this. I am correct?