Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have had to leave my marital home due to honor based violence.

i have had to leave my marital home due to honor based violence. i am now in the process of divorcing my husband whom i have been married to for 23 years. i have heard from family members he his trying to hide the assets including the marital home. he has sold both our cars to the value of £100,000. how do i stand in court regarding this matter? he was the one who was in charge of all finances and is a partner in his own business.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Given your husband is now selling assets I would suggest you urgently submit a divorce application along with a Form A simultaneously to deal with the financial matter.
The court will then give directions regarding filing of evidence for you and your husband go detail your financial position - the court will consider all your assets, income and needs, as well as your husband's and any children of the family when deciding what an equitable settlement should be.
Given that there has been honor-based violence, as well as sale of assets, in would not suggest that you engage in mediation and that a court application is necessary.
___
Please rate positive if you found this information helpful.
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiMy name is ***** ***** I have been a Family lawyer for 30 years.If the matrimonial home is held in your husband's sole name you must immediately apply to Register your Matrimonial Home Rights with the Land Registryhttps://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/449289/HR1.pdfThis will ensure that he cannot sell the property until matters have been resolved.Please do not worry too much about actions that he has already taken - the Court is well used to such behaviour and will penalise him financially if it continuesClare