Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am married to a Brazilian and we have a 4 year old daughter

I am married to a Brazilian and we have a 4 year old daughter . On October 12th 2015 my wife took my daughter to Brazil without telling anyone . I made contact with my wife via my mother in law . My wife says she is remaining in Brazil . Telephone communication is almost impossible , I send messages via the internet and I have only spoken to my daughter once since she was taken . I have been trying very hard to keep communication channels open . I offered to go and live in Brazil so I can retain my relationship with my daughter and yesterday my wife said that even if I did that I would only get to see my little girl once a month . I have been completely involved in my daughter's life since she was born and I cannot understand why her mother took her . My daughter was born in the UK and is a British citizen . What should I do now .?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
As the mother took your daughter abroad permanently without your consent this would class as child abduction. I would suggest that you contact the police and if they refuse to assist then you should submit an application to court for her return to the UK.
__
Please rate positive if you found this helpful.
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for 30 years.The fact that your wife took the child abroad without your agreement or an Order from the Court does indeed mean that the child has been abducted - but there is little that the local police can do to secure the return of the child to the UKFortunately Brazil is a signatory to the Hague Convention on Abducted Children and that means that you should be able to apply to the Courts in Brazil for the return of the child to the UK so that the Uk courts can determine where she should live in future.You can get help in dealing with this from the Charity Reunite - www.reunite.org.Please ask if you need further detailsClare