LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hiya, I was out a few weeks ago and got an uber. When I got

Customer Question

Hiya, I was out a few weeks ago and got an uber. When I got in it was fine but when i said where I wanted to go the driver refused to take me because he didn't want to go to Blackheath. I said he had to and he insisted he wasn't going to. I told him we'd been waiting for 15 minutes and that he couldn't just not take me. He insisted he wouldn't so I said he should get us another uber then. He was getting irritated and turned around and grabbed me arm (i was behind the drivers seat) and pulled me toward the door of the passenger side. I was holding a bottle of beer at the time so some of it spilled on me. Then he said he was going to call the police so I said fine since he was the one that grabbed me. He got out of the car to make the call (although at the time I thought he might be bluffing). We waited a few minutes but then I thought what was the point as he clearly wasn't going to take us so I got out of the car. As I was walking past him I flicked the beer bottle and some of the beer went in his direction. I ran off then. That was a few weeks ago but I've received an email from the police with regard to the incident and they want me to call them, which I intend to do today. But I want to get some advice on what I should do as I'm not sure what he's even said to them or if I could get in trouble for any of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically I want some advice on what I should do with regard to the police contact today.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
The first thing is that you should be careful about what you say to the police. By all means ring them and see what they want. But do not discuss the incident with them. If they want to interview then arrange a time and get a solicitor. If you are going to be interviewed by the police you have a right to free and independent legal advice. This is not means tested and applies to everyone who the police interview.
It may seem a trivial situation but a solicitor will be interested (we get paid the same for a police station attendance whether it is this or a murder).
Technically if you deliberately flicked the beer at him then this would be an assault, if however you just flicked/gestured the bottle in his direction and the beer came out onto him accidentally without you realising that it might then this would be an accident and probably not an assault.
Do uber have your residential address?
Another approach would be to simply think this is a trivial matter and hope that the officer (if is even being dealt with by an officer) will consider that he has done his duty by emailing you and may never get around to any other follow up. The police are very busy and being cut back at the moment and there must be a chance that nothing will wver come of this.
Was there anyone else in the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiya,I think uber have my address although even if they don't they have my bank details and could easily track it down. There was someone in the car but he doesn't really want to get involved although I could probably persuade him if I needed to. I was thinking that perhaps the police were busy and not that interested since it took so long to contact me - it's a detective constable though so wasn't sure if that should warrant me to be more worried. I guess I could try to ignore it and hope it goes away but would you advise that if they pursued me at my address for example I should ask for the right to a lawyer right away before saying anything? I've never been in trouble before and I'm very worried :(. If they did want to interview me would you be happy to represent me? I have no problem paying for a lawyer.Regards,
Carol.
I think there is a chance it may go away, but it is far from certain. It is unlikely that they will go straight from email to arresting you at your home address.
A few weeks is not slow for the police. You might think the best thing to do is to see if they follow up. If they do call then ask what they want and if they want to interview you then you need a lawyer. Arrange a time and then contact a local criminal defence solicitor who will go to the police station with you.
Do not talk to the police about the facts of the incident itself.
Anything you say can be used against you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The officer did say that it was regarding an incident at the location on the date so would ou advise that I get a lawyer now and get in touch or still let the dust settle? Could it go against me if it ended up in court that I failed to get in touch initially?
No it will not go against you if you wait and see. If you do though there is a slight risk of being arrested. If you are worrying about it then call a lawyer now and he can make the initial calls on yr behalf (this outside the free police station advice scheme but he will probabaly do it anyway, I do.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help
No problem. I would be grateful if you would please rate my answers as I will not get paid otherwise. This will not close your question and I will continue to answer any further questions.
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry to bother you again.. I decided to wait instead of calling the station, but I've just had a voicemail from the police asking me to call. I have tried to get in touch with a solicitor but will follow up tomorrow as it's Sunday. I'm just wondering how worried I should be. I presume I should now contact them and arrange a time to visit the station with a solicitor? They definitely seem keen to pursue it. I'm just so anxious I think I'll be a mess if I have to speak to them at the station. Would it still be advisable to avoid them or is it inevitable that they will eventually rock up at my door?
I think if they have left another message then the risk of them visiting you unannounced is increasing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiya,I spoke to the police about it and am going in next Wednesday evening. I'll try to get legal representation before or insist on the duty solicitor (he recommended I got my own if I wanted so that it would "speed things up" although I'm not convinced that's for my benefit.). He also mentioned several times it was a "minor" incident, do you think he's trying to trick me into a false sense of security or do you think that even worst case scenario it would be a minor charge? I'm happy to pay more if need be for advice, I'm not trying to take advantage..
1. The duty solicitor would be fine but there would be a delay so it is best to arrange your own solicitor. There is no shortage of good criminal defence solicitors in South East London.
2. Yes I think he is trying to trick you into not taking it seriously. If it is so minor why do yo have to go to the police station?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** think of it he was sort of stuttering which can is probably a symptom of lying. I'll arrange a solicitor, thank you. I've just tried a few and nobody has called me back but I have a decent amount of time to arrange one so will do so. Thanks again so much.
No problem. Good luck.