29905560

My husband died nearly 2 years ago and I am sorting through

My husband died nearly 2 years ago and I am sorting through his papers. I just need to know which papers should be kept and which can be discarded. I am keeping the more obvious such as death/birth certificates but things like old pay slips, P60s, pension correspondence for example - can I get rid of these?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Has his estate been administered following his death?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is all sorted.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
If the estate has been administered and there are no outstanding issues to resolve then legally you would not be obliged to keep any of these documents. As long as there is no money owed from his pension, employer, the tax man, etc – you do not need to keep these. However, as the limitation period for many claims is 6 years, it is advisable to keep correspondence for that time, just in case something unexpected crops up. It does not mean you have to keep everything, but just the main correspondence, things which appear to discuss important matters or contain identifiable details of policies or other personal details. As with most correspondence these days it will be held electronically by the sender company anyway so if needed a copy could be obtained but for you own peace of mind you may wish to consider keeping them for these 6 years after death anyway. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's brilliant Ben, thank you very much. At least knowing the '6 year claim' thingy is a big help. I will be able to get rid of a lot of paperwork! Many thanks. Erica Ellis
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best