75100385

I have been building a garage in the grounds of my house. I

I have been building a garage in the grounds of my house. I had to dig a track for electricity using a mechanical digger. While doing this i bent the gas supply pipe feeding my house. The gas pipe was only underground by 225mm. I took photoes of this as i beleive the required depth is 600 mm and it should have a warning tape layed above it. The gas engineers came out to fix it and told me at the time it was not deep enough and when bill comes in do not pay it.although they would deny any conversation. The bill came in and i responded with photograph and what i beleive the correct depth should have been. They have now responded back saying it is an acceptable depth, i should have notified them that i was digging and because i did not i an still liable for the costs. Should i fight this further or grudgingly pay the costs.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know what the bill cost is please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£387.46
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Then you are ok - if you refuse to pay all they can do is issue a small claim. This means you go before a Judge and if you lose you dont need lawyers and wont have a huge legal bill.
But I agree, if they have said it should have been deeper and it was not then you may be able to get away with it. But sadly the law of negligence does say if you damage something you are liable. But the Judge may reduce any award due to them for contributory fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the latest reply from them they say it needs to be 450mm 0n roads and footways but on private property about 375mm but they then quote that these are only guidelines. They then start on about ground conditions. It is not rock under my drive so the pipe could have been deeper. As far as contacting them to find out where the main was i felt it unnecessary as i already new it was in that area due to the gas meter on the wall. I was watching the digger operator as we were round about that area but did not see the pipe as it was so shallow and was not covered with warning tape. Again to quote "marker tape is not required on service pipes" which i beleive to be incorrect. I dont know if you can clarify that legaly.
It is not a lot of money involved but i genuenly do not think i wss at fault
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed. I think you would be liable for sum of the cost, but not all. After all you did cause the damage.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the marker tape a legal requirment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get that about marker tape
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sorry yes I did. I think marker tape is legally required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you find out for a definate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you confirm for sure marker tape is legal requirment
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sure but it may take a while
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem just let me know
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you found anything out yet
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. I have come across it before, I just need to remember where!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Looks like Regulation 23 of Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/