12826847

I own my own ltd company and recently done some work through

Customer Question

I own my own ltd company and recently done some work through an agency. They agency (after telling me I could work through my ltd company) are now saying that I need to be paid CIS or through an umbrella company. Also, my company is vat registered and they are refusing to pay this also as "they do not pay vat to contractors" even though work began this was all confirmed. I'm just wondering what steps I should take now? Thanks
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. When you agreed the fee with them did you say the fee excluded VAT? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The job was took on last minute as they were struggling to get the job done so I agreed to it. And now that the work has been complete the agency is saying they need to pay me paye, or CIS or umberella even though I work through my ltd company. Thanks, Russ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. Do you have anything in writing that confirms or agrees the price? Did you submit and invoice through your company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The only thing to confirm the price was the hourly rate posted on and online as from the agency. I have submitted two invoices to them yet still have not been paid
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Normally the rule is VAT is only chargeable if you have notified them that your charges are absent of VAT. In theory you have an argument to say you can charge VAT because you never had an opportunity to confirm the hourly rate was exclusive of VAT.
If you have invoiced them you are entitled to be paid. Will you want to carry on working with them in the future?
AJ