29905560

I employed a firm to design and construct a new kitchen. The

Customer Question

I employed a firm to design and construct a new kitchen. The contract sum was in excess of £32,000. The work commenced at the end of June 2014 and was to be completed within six weeks. Cash was generally paid in advance of various stages.
Many mistakes were made (including two very serious ones) and it took until July 2015 for them to corrected be (a year).
I have withheld the sum of £1,500 for the inconvenience and stress caused, and have said I consider this as compensation. I have said that if the contractor takes legal action to recover this sum, I will seek damages for the inconvenience and stress caused.
Frankly, the experience of getting the new kitchen was a nightmare for my wife and myself (both senior citizens) because of the mistakes and the time taken to correct them.
Although I do not feel that £1,500 is sufficient compensation, it is a convenient amount
because this is what I have withheld . Am I doing the right thing?
Edward Haggar
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve in the circumstances?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Simply keep the @1500 I have retained
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Simply keep the £1500 I have reained as compensation for all the trouble and inconvenience caused
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you advise how long I will have to wait for an answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please at least let me know you are still with me
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied to my initial query. Did they eventually complete the kitchen to the required specificaitons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,there were some items which were not to specification but which we accepted in desperation to get our lives back
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the law says that the work must be:· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed). In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved. If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights: 1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience. 2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work. 3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader. In this case you allowed them to carry out the remedial works themselves but they took a year, instead of the quoted 6 weeks. This is an unreasonably long time to finish the works and you could indeed look to get a price reduction to cover compensation for the extra time taken and inconvenience caused in the process. The amount you have withheld is only around 5% of the total price so not an unreasonable amount so you are going along the right lines to deal with this in a way that the law would allow you to. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.