13262538

How are you. I live in Australia (but was born in England)

Customer Question

How are you.
I live in Australia (but was born in England) and have come back to bury my Father. I am his only son and responsible for his burial and other matters. My instructions in regards ***** ***** cost of burying him are to be taken out of his estate. I understand that I can apply for a grant of representation (GOR). My question is: What exactly is the grant of representation and how do I apply for it? Also, I was under the impression that the GOR took a while to process, so how do the funeral directors get access to the funds to pay for the funeral; or do the funeral directors wait until the funds are released.
As I live in Australia I am unclear how the system works here and would appreciate any information you can give me in regards ***** ***** my Father's estate in order to cover the funeral costs.
Thank you John
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I am sorry for your lossI shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.What assets did your father have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still in the process of determining what his exact assets are. But from what I have found in his papers he has two bank accounts and some stocks and shares (which I have not been able to locate as yet).
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Did he own his home, and how much is in the bank accounts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not exactly sure as I have only received his death certificate today and have not been to the banks in question in regards ***** ***** exact amount, but I do know that there is enough to cover his burial costs with some left over. Also, he does not own his own home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lost your response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there Clare.
I may have pressed a wrong button and lost your response to the amount of funds in my Father's bank accounts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How are you Clare.
I checked my email in regards ***** ***** response. While you may have sent it, the page my two emails take me too has no response. Sorry. Could you please resend it. Thank you.
John
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the glitch.
For clarity - I assume that there is no Will?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Not that I can find. He filled out a will questionnaire under the impression that it was a will I think. However, I am his only son and he has two granddaughters (my daughters of course) and we all know what his wishes were (he told us).
I also apologise for getting upset. I just flew in from Australia yesterday and I am a little stressed, especially working my way through a new system, and on top of that my Mum only died two months ago. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry Clare. It comes up that you have responded when I go to view it, it is not there.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
of course you are stressed - this is a difficult time even without flying all the way around the world. With regard to the funeral costs please do not worry. If you give the bill to the bank they will arrange to pay it - it is the only bill that can be treated in this way.The Grant of Representation that you have heard about refers to "Letters of Administration which you have to apply for where there is no WillDetails herehttps://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/if-the-person-didnt-leave-a-willYou may not need to do this if the Estate is worth less than £20,000I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailscCare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Clare. That answers not just my questions, but most of the other questions I was going to ask. From you answer I can see that I need to work them separately. I thought everything was connected. While I still have a bit to do it is not seeming so complicated now. I can now go and organise my Dad's funeral without all the stress I had about four hours ago. Thank you very much again. I hope you have a safe week.
John
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi John
You are most welcome - it is such a hard time especially when there is only you - I hope all goes well