12826847

I was flashed by a speed camera on the M25 in a 60mph zone.

Customer Question

I was flashed by a speed camera on the M25 in a 60mph zone. The camera said I was travelling at 69mph! Pathetic if you ask me. Anyway I was notified 31 days after the alleged. Offence took place! The vehicle in question is a lease car and the police say they notified the owners within the 14 day period required in law. Do I have any defence on this occasion? Thanks for any advice. Tony
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
On what basis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The NIP took 31 days to arrive. Seems an excessive period of time to notify me. Also the legal limit on a motorway is 70mph which I did not exceed. When driving in the variable speed zone I seem to recall that the road was completely clear in other words no build up of traffic or incident of any kind. It seems harsh in the extreme to penalise me in this way. Legally speaking do I have any chance or defence whatsoever. Thank you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, in short. I am sorry.
Unfortunately the rules are that they must send out a NIP on a date that would by ordinary post reach the registered keeper within fourteen days. When it reaches the actual driver is a non issue.
Since you are not the registered keeper you do not have that protection. The police will have sent the original NIP to the keeper probably within fourteen days and they replied naming you as the driver. Sadly they are still in time.
Obviously you could wait to see if they remember to summons you. They do quite often forget and if they do you will walk away within nothing.
In relation to the speed limit, this was a variable speed limit. Whatever the speed limit was, it was not 70 mph and you accept that.
Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information