Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My ex and I broke up around 7 weeks ago, he had my car and

My ex and I broke up around 7 weeks ago, he had my car and I had a few of his things. I was still paying for the insurance on the car until 6th November when I cancelled it and informed him. I fetched my car and dropped of his things this past weekend and now he is saying that I owe him £600 for the TV that has gone missing. Is this something he can take me to court for?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you have the television or have you returned it to him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny, I returned it to him with his other stuff
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says he lent me £200 for the extended car warranty on my new car, which is not true, yes he paid for it but when I asked to pay him back the same day, he said no it was a gift. He is claiming I owe him this too?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi were you married?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we weren't married, but he was almost living with me, not sure that makes a difference.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No it's fine. He can try to bring a small claim against you for the value of the television and the £200 that he spent on the car warranty. You would have to defend that claim by saying that you had returned the television and that the £200 was a gift. It is difficult to prove that it was a gift if there is nothing in writing. In circumstances like this it comes down to one word against the other and who the Judge believes. Hopefully he will reconsider bringing a claim against you. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.