Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I need some advice about a plumber we had a quote

I need some advice about a plumber
we had a quote which seemed ok so I booked a date for our bathroom to be turned into a shower , I paid a 50% deposit but when they came to do the work he said it couldn't be done the way the quote was set out, so he left saying I would need another quote. So I waited for someone to get intouch about another day for a new quote but no one called so I had to ring them to be told it would be on Friday 4 day later, when he came round he told me that it could be done the way the quote was set out but I did say to him if I don't want to go a head with the work could I have my deposit money back and he said yes of course. But I'm still waiting and after 5 phone calls and 2 e-mails later I have been told no I cant have my money back as I had entered a contract with him. So I need son advice.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What was the reason you changed your mind about using the plumber?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he seemed very in competant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he sent a young fella round to do the job and he said it couldn't be done and just left. then when the main man came back round to re quote he said it could be done, from then on I was not really comfortable about using him
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Did he provide you with any contract at the time that you paid the deposit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no just a bill with the deposit moneys on it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he has said that as I have paid a deposit that is a contract
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok the fact that there is not a contract stating that the deposit is not refundable helps you, as does the fact that he initially agreed to pay you back. You should write to him to say that you require the deposit to be refunded in 7 days. You should state that you lost faith in his ability to carry out the job to a satisfactory standard. You should say that there is no contract to state that the deposit is non refundable and point out the fact that he has in fact agreed to repay you.You should say that if you do not receive the refund you will claim the money back through the county court. That should concentrate his mind. If he does not refund you you can raise a claim at www.moneyclaim.gov.ukAll the best with it. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you I will give it a go
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
No problem, please do remember to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise credited for the time I have spent answering your question. I will be happy to answer your follow on questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will and thanks again bye for now and have a nice day x
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
You too. Thank you.