How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 854
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

When leaving a property in a will, is it possible to leave

Resolved Question:

When leaving a property in a will, is it possible to leave it in unequal shares between to persons?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please could I ask you to explain your situation a little more.
- is the property currently held in your sole name?
- are the 2 people you want to leave the property too relatives of yours? Perhaps a spouse or children?
- what is your reasoning for the unequal shares?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the property is mine. I wish to leave it to two family members. One member has managed and maintained the property for me.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
As the property is yours then you can leave the property to who ever you like.
To ensure that your position is recorded then you need to prepare a will. If you do not prepare a will then your estate will be divided as per the rules of intestacy - which is a set process and will not take into account what you wanted to do.
You can include your reasoning for your unequal sharing in your will - so that your family understands your reasoning.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you