12826847

Can a solicitor write a letter asking that my partners family

Customer Question

Can a solicitor write a letter asking that my partners family stop harrasing and being abusive towards me and not to come near me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been with my partner just over 4 years and he has rather a dysfunctional family. They decided they didn't like me as run my own business so able to lead a standard lifestyle with own home car etc whilst none of them work and expect handouts etc. after having abusive messages sent to me we cut off contact two years ago but they have never fully gone away but my partner and his sister tried to re connect earlier this year but did not work out. Yet again I have been made the scape goat of blame and had nasty calls again etc which have always just brushed off or ignored from the sister and nieces and nephews, however yesterday I answered the phone to yet another unrecognized number and was being threatened by the nephew of 'looking over my shoulder as don't realize what he is capable of and if I go over to see my father in law will knock me out.
This has now all become too much and even though is logged with the police that is all they can do they say at the moment.
I need them to leave me alone as have ill health also and affecting it greatly.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What action have the police taken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none they said have logged it all but as mostly calls so no evidence as such they will not go over there and tell them to leave me alone and just told me to go buy security cameras in case come near the house which I have done
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks.
The short answer is that a solicitor can do that but it may not have the desired effect.
Any solicitor can send out a harassment warning. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. However, the difficulty here is the same as the police are having. Ultimately to take any action you would need to prove that they were the parties responsible. I imagine that is the difficulty the police face.
As solicitors letter would cost probably around hundred pounds plus VAT. It is possible that some body would act for a cheaper price but that is a rough figure and it may be affected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for that, I am not so bothered about the cost of it as just wanted to know if possible to do just to try to warn them off to see if hopefully would take a letter more seriously than me just trying to ignore it all the time.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and sometimes it does work for exactly that reason.
The only issue is that underpinning it with legal action is harder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help I feel a bit better now that can at least try this option
Kind Regards
Karen
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.