12826847

In May this year we, a family of 2 adults and 3 children,

Customer Question

In May this year we, a family of 2 adults and 3 children, have driven on holiday to France. Before we left my partner called our auto insurance company, ‘Essentia’, to tell them that we were going to France, to which they wished us ‘to have a good journey’.
On our second day of holidays large bus as caught the front of our car as we were coming out of the junction. It seems we couldn’t see each other because of the bushes overgrow in the wrong place. Although, fortunately, we were unhurt, our car looked a write off. It's probably possible to tell from the pictures that the bus was going very fast (with the consequent quotes of repair warning between 6 and 14 thousand pounds). The car was taken to back to England. The insurance companies have concluded that it was our fault.
Essentia told us that, although they acknowledge the fact that we rang to inform them that we are going abroad ( and provided the transcript), we were not insured , because we did not specifically asked them to extend our cover to abroad variety, when we rang them to tell them we were going abroad.
The ombudsman told us that she upholds the decision of Essentia because we ‘did not request cover ‘proactively’.
Is there anything we can do now to make Essentia to admit liability?
What are our chances of success if we took Essentia to court , self-representing, and what are the worst scenario costs/ time-scale , please?
Thank you for reading.
Christina
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the cost of the damages you are pursuing them for
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben,Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how this works, but I think someone else is already committed to replying to his enquiry of mine :)
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no one else is committed to replying to this - you posted your question to our UK law section and it was open for anyone to answer it so I happened to be the first one to pick it up. You may have seen a solicitor before you posted your question but this was just an example of who was online at the time, not necessarily the person who was going to deal with your query.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you wish to continue with your query?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi BenThanks for your reply. From your question it seems to me, we are not on the same page as to the obvious, to us if not all, problem at hand. Sorry to be so criptic, but I just don't want to waste your time.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
ok, I won't continue then, all the best