12826847

A teacher at my daughters primary school has been arrested

Customer Question

A teacher at my daughters primary school has been arrested for sexual assult. My daughter has one to one sessions with him for maths. I have heard this from another parent who, who has directly been told by the child involved's father. Other children have been interviewed by police. Should the school make other parents official aware? Should I have had contact from the school?? What should happen, will the police need to speak to my child?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this. Was your daughter a victim in any way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is ten I have asked her how she found her maths lessons. I didn't go into details about what has happened with the other girl. She has just said that he made her feel uncomfortable as "he sits too close". Thankfully I think that was all that happened with her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just wondering as the school must have a duty of care. They know that she had one to one with him, the same as the other child. Surely the school should have made the other parents aware that this situation had occurred? Also the man involved who is on bail pending further enquires, is married to the head mistress of the school.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The police probably will want to speak to her. Their current approach to policing seems to be to try to find other complainants rather than to scrutinise allegations properly. They are not going to make her the subject of any charge if it is just that he sits too closes though.The school have no duty of care over a police investigation at all and, in fact, would be contaminating evidence if they did tell parents. You may have already done that by speaking to her but she isn't reportinf any crimes so it doesn't matter. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It might be that they don't interview her. I think they are learning that their current fly paper approaching to policing is not really finding favour. Also, the more witneses the crown speak to who don't give evidence the more they turn into a point for the defence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.