Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My employer is experiencing a downturn in business and

My employer is experiencing a downturn in business and I have an idea they are going to restructure and basically dump a lot of duties onto me.
My concern is that I will have no idea how to achieve these duties as well as not losing any of my current duties and role.
Seeing as I have been there for over 30 years already and never had a days training how to do my job, I'm guessing there will be very little in the way of any future help.
Everything I currently know and have built up has been achieved by me, trying to train myself on the job and watching youtube videos!
When they try and do what I'm guessing they are going to do can I object? There will be plenty of under handed threats of redundancy etc if I do refuse so if I do have to accept it can I give them a letter outlining my concerns in order that further down road they can't make life difficult for me and say I'm not achieving the things I told them that I wouldn't.
Should I also leave a copy of such a letter with a legal body.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you saying that your existing role will no longer exist and that you are being asked to do another job?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am guessing at the moment but from past experience and what has happened to a coleague of mine my current position will remain. One of the company Directors is leaving, he is my boss and I know the company will expect me to pick up the work as they don't want to spend any money. Thanks
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
So in effect your role will be changing so you do your job as well as extra duties?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but I know they will go about it all the wrong way especially as I know very little of the role, no training etc. They know I'm in of position of not knowing what I can or can't do
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok my advice , if this happens, would be to raise a grievance to say that you are concerned that you have not had adequate training to do the additional work. Your key role is the one that is important and if they tried to take disciplinary action against you for part of a role that you are not familiar with (through no fault of your own) then that would be unreasonable. So long as the grievance is lodged with the employer and you keep a copy that would be adequate. With regards ***** ***** threat of redundancy, they cannot make you redundant legally if your job still exists as it is not a redundancy situation. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** a weight off my mind
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
No problem, if you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.