Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I purchased 20 LED tube lights a month ago, the new equivalent

I purchased 20 LED tube lights a month ago, the new equivalent of a Fluorescent light fitting.
Two were supplied in the incorrect white light and one did not work and two had dull spots from faulty LED's within the light. I informed the supplier and they did not have any to replace for 7-8 weeks.
They accused me of incorrectly installing the lights, of not using an electrician but initially agreed to accept the returned lights. These were fitted as replacements in my new offices and due to opening the office I could not return them instantly. Since then two more have literally gone bang and have black burn marks inside, others have started buzzing which has been a sign of failure.
I have been unable to source matching lights elsewhere and asked the company to take them all back as I had no confidence and I needed matching lights. They agreed only if they were unused but obviously they have been installed or I would not know they were many faulty units and incorrect light colour.
I asked them to confirm I could return them, they did not answer. I tried again and they tried to imply that I needed a Part P Certified electrician which is not required for commercial premises.
I have told them I want to return all faulty, incorrect colour and working units because I need them all to match. They have refused.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Are there any terms and conditions relating to the purchase of these lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They were seen on ebay. They offered a discount for 20+ if you called so I bought them from a Proforma invoice emailed to me.

It purely states to keep the receipt in case of returns.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
So nothing at all about needing an electrician to fit in their terms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No and it is not a legal requirement except in homes or business premises that are part of a home or share common areas.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok in that case there is no right for them to refuse the refund on the basis that they are fault and not fit for purpose. You should send a letter before action asking for a full refund within 7 days and say if this is not forthcoming you will bring a small claim to recover your losses. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am I able to send back those that are not faulty on the basis that I have little faith in them and that we do not want a mix of light fittings in a new office. Can they be classed as a set?

Sorry for the delay between answers, running office at the same time.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Were they sold as a set?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
If they were not sold as a set will it be impossible for you to find matching ones?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are sold as how ever many units you require and we needed 20 for the office. They appear to only be imported by this supplier, I have tried extensively to seek identical replacements to save removing and replacing them all.

I am sure you will appreciate that in a brand new office environment we do not want a mix and match of light units.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
In the circumstances you describe you can ask for them all to be returned on the basis that they are not fit for the purpose they were purchased for as they cannot be matched.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.