Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have an unusual high mobile phone bill sons

I have an unusual high mobile phone bill for my sons mobile phone I got the sim only in Aug 2014 and never had a problem. As I pay for mobile for all my children and had previously had one high bill 3 years ago sons phone for sex line £120.Investigation every time he text stop he was charged £2.00. I had to pay half to clear the debt at 15 he was to embarrassed to tell me. As Im down to 2 mobile now a business one and my sons I was advised to have his phone on with my phone, sim only and as soon as he hit his limit it would cut of automatically.14 months no problem. I upgraded my phone in Sept and higher bill in October 18th, I queried the bill and it was explained to me that the upgrade pay in advance also for £2 bolt on for sons phone. I objected I was not told and as the bill payer I felt I should have been informed. ON the 19th Oct I received a text to say my phone would be cut off if I didn't pay bill. I had paid the bill day before on DD I phoned them and was told I had to pay for sons bill as this was the problem. The Bill was £706. Mortified, upset doesn't come close. I argued that the phone was to cut off as per original agreement once limit used when in shop and was told that this was only the Data. I had no worries over Data as the phone is only ever used in the house. I was told to stop my DD so the total bill with vat is now £911.21p. I cannot pay this bill IM disabled and off work with no income. I told them this and I have never een able to access account on line as OOPs message not av ailable. Tey released a copy of the bill and it is 100 pages long. Yes the calls were to his girl friend who has been on the scene for 6 months. The only change is the phone, I let him have an old Iphone 4 for his birthday in September. I agree he is responsible for some of the bill but I strongly dis agree. The bill states he is on phone call for 9 hours at a time, I am distraught. They have offered a 50 / 50 but I know this shouldn't be the case I don't have a copy of sim agreement so do I have to accept this bill Sue Crabb
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you saying the phone company has already made you an offer to settle at a lower cost? What had you set the limit for usage at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny I have said in first question they have offered 50/50, I believed that it is unlimited texts 4 gb data and 1000 minutes and once he had hit the limit his phone would stop till the next payment received and then start again. They said it was only the data that would stop I argued that to the data was never an issue as the phone data would only be used in the home on broadband wifi. I was happy to know that I was protected. I was not contacted in anyway till the phone calls were over 2000 mins past his original allowance they had allowed this to happen and the calls stopped and restarted every 2hrs at £44 upto 9 hrs through the night? Sue
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
So in the shop it was not made clear that it was only the data limits which would cause a freeze on the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AS I understood it yes
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Sorry you thought it was just the data or you thought it was the calls as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They state it was the data only now I believed it was the sim in full
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok this is important, at the time you entered the contract were you led to believe that the phone would be blocked if any of the limits (including the calls) were exceeded? I know that they are now saying it's just the data but it's what they were saying when you took out the contract that is important.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IN the shop I had told them I was paying for 3 mobiles and that I had been hit previously by external payment texts and cannot afford for the phone to exceed any limits. I was told once your son hit his limit his phone would freeze until following payment had been paid and then his limit would start again. On the Customer Care line they are stating it is only the data that freezes and as a gesture of good will they would go 50 / 50. I have checked 100 pages of the account that I have never been able to access until they put me through on the 19th Oct and there has been no reminders only one bolt on not known what for, and the one text sent to me was the cut of if I didn't pay the cost of £706 with vat now £911.21 sue
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sue, I would advise you to write to the head office to say that you have been missold the contract and that the contract was misrepresented to you therefore you do not believe you should have to pay the bill.
You should state that you specifically raised the issue of paying for excessive bills and were reassured that there would be a bar if the limit was exceeded. You therefore entered the contract on that basis. You are therefore astounded that this has not happened and you have a hefty bill.
You should state that if they are not prepared to cancel the excess charge you will take the matter to the Ombudsman. You should ask them which ombudsman scheme they are members of , there are 2 possibilities here.
Hopefully this will lead them to cancel the bill if it does I would advise you stick to your guns and raise a complaint to the ombudsman.
In the future I would stick to pay as you go with your son.
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only one question how much has this been charged to my card as I have not opted for free trial I am not in a position to take on monthly bills and as you have asked for further info that I put on original statement I am in fear that this is going to cost as much as the bill it self. So sorry ut I have to ask as I am stressed as it is with original problem. How much has this cost me Thank you so much for your help but please How much has this query cost me?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi it just costs you the one single amount you were told you would be charged. The fact that I have asked you for additional information doesn't make a difference. There will not be a monthly bill as you have not asked for a subscription. No problem at all about asking this question I can completely understand why you want to be sure.