29905560

HiI am disputing a £2500 vet bill hours of overnight

Customer Question

I am disputing a £2500 vet bill for 12 hours of overnight care for my dog in a critical care facility before she died in their care.
Upon admission when she was already in a critical condition I was given an estimate of £1000 for 24 hours of care. They had detailed information as to my dogs health at this stage as she had already spent several hours at my own vets before being transfered to them. I was concerned as to the cost as I was unsure as to whether my pet insurance would cover it but went ahead on this estimate as an amount I could afford and was prepared to spend to try and save my pet.
On two separate occasions I was "consulted" regarding increasing costs which I agreed too. I was primarily told the reasons for this were drug costs. I was told "your dog is dying do you want us to continue to treat or not"
My dog died after approximately 10 hours in their care. With the benefit of hindsight and not in such an emotional state I feel that I was not consulted fully. The vet did not discuss my dogs meaningful chances of recovery, whether she was suffering or talk about any alternative course of action i.e. euthanasia. The bland statement do you want us to continue to treat in my emotional state in the middle of the night did not enable me to make a rational decision. I wish I had been helped to reach a decision to let my dog die a peaceful and dignified death.
I have questioned the bill and they have reduced it by £400 but are now threatening to send the matter to a debt collector. The have not explained why the bill was 150% more than the estimate for only half the amount of time i.e. 12 rather than 24 hours, nor accepted that the phone consultations were lacking. The cost of drugs is only a small part of the overall bill.
Have I got any legal recourses in the circumstances?
Sue
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you pursued this through an internal complaint with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have written two emails compalining they have responded that they consider they were professional in their dealings with me and have now said they expect me to pay the bill
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
posted in error