13262538

My wife was power of attorney late auntie, whom on

My wife was power of attorney for her late auntie, whom on was in residential care for three years prior to her passing away. During this time my wife paid for all of her aunts care cost from her aunts banks funds, which were from the sale of her property and her pension. When her aunt passed away there was a shortfall in funds which my wife was paying. After her death 1 of her relatives enquired as to the state of her financial affairs and offered to help with the shortfall in fund to cover the outstanding debts. For a period of time this relative made several visits to our and my wife's mothers households, and would stay for an unwelcomely long time making both my wife and mother felt very uncomfortable in his presence due to him being very touchy feely. Eventually he was asked to stop making visits to both my wife and her mother because they were feeling very uncomfortable when he visited. Until this point the relative had not made any enquiries about the expenditure of her aunts account.
My wife has received an enquiry from a solicitor on behalf of a relative regarding wanting an explanation for all expenses paid from her aunts bank account during the period my wife was the power of attorney. My wife has already explained to the solicitor that she did not keep records of expenditure because she did not know that she had too.
My wife would like to know how she should respond to this request of an explanation, bearing in mind she has already explained that she has no records or receipts for the expenditure.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
has your wife kept copies of the Bank Statements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but these have been obtained by the Executors of the late aunts estate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Explanations were give to the Executors of the late aunts estate as to what the money's was spent on, as to the best of my wife's memory at the time the Executors were finalising the estate. This was sent to them in the form of a spread sheet giving details of expenses that they were querying.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Who were the Executors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A Solicitor, these are the people that she sent the explanations to, and they were acting as executors for her aunt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be possible to call you tomorrow, around lunch time, as it is getting late now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be possible for my wife to ring you on Monday the 16th before 11 am.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
If your wife accounted for matters to the Executors then she has done all she needs to do.
She should write to the new solicitors and inform the that the Executors have dealt with the matter and that any questions should be directed to them
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details