29905560

There I bought some furniture with my property but on

Customer Question

Hi there I bought some furniture with my property but on moving in realised I have over-paid for the sofa-bed and armchairs, I e-mailed the seller and this is his response; "Very nice to hear from you and I am delighted that you are happy with the flat.
I am sorry if there has been any misunderstanding in terms of the furniture. I encouraged a visit by yourself many times to properly view the furniture but understood this was difficult from London. The bed and headboard are hugely expensive, with the headboard
alone having cost more than £1000. My new apartment effectively has a built in headboard hence why I priced this so keenly. If you research the bed you will discover how expensive it is for yourself. I was never asked where I bought the sofa and armchairs
but the agent simply commented that all my furniture was very nice. I am afraid I do not know exactly how these were sold to you but I certainly did not misrepresent in anyway. Whilst they are from Ikea they are in perfect condition and have had very little
use. What you have paid for them is still less than what I paid to include the delivery and make up service. I priced them quite high for second hand furniture as I was happy to take them with me should you have found the price too high. As you wished to proceed
I have subsequently gone on to buy two new sofas and an armchair (again from Ikea as it happens in the same colour) so cannot even offer to take these from you at this stage as I would have nowhere to put them. Again I am sorry if you feel you have overpaid
for them as I truly would have been very happy to take them with me. I sincerely ***** ***** does not sour our transaction. If it has not I would be very keen to meet you." I agree that the bed and headboard was a good deal but I still feel cheated over the
price I paid for the sofa-bed and armchair. When I asked the estate agent what make the furniture was he told me the seller didn't know but all his furniture was of the highest quality. I would really appreciate your help with this as I believe there is a
breach of contract due to misrepresentation and I would like him to compensate me for this. Many thanks for your help Peter
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What exactly is the misrepresentation you allege?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That I was sold Ikea furniture in the belief that I was getting very high quality furniture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry missed out hello Ben nice to meet you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Why did you not inspect the furniture before buying it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flats in Manchester and I was in London and the estate agent assured me it was of the highest quality.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Claiming misrepresentation and compensation here will be rather difficult. First of all you do not have the general protection under consumer law which requires items to be sold at a reasonable price because this was not a business seller. The seller also did not directly market the furniture to you. They cannot be held liable for the agency’s description of the items and the agency would not be liable to you either. If you wanted to satisfy yourself about the quality of the items you would have had to inspect them personally or asked for more detailed photos. Describing something as being of high quality would not automatically exclude items from Ikea. In the circumstances I do not see how a court would award compensation from the seller, it is not a strong claim.I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your honest answer.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you have a great evening
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
And you too!