75100385

Defamatory comments made by a club

Customer Question

Defamatory comments made by a club coach that my behaviour was 'not acceptable and erratic' in the course of three training sessions and one match. These comments are on paper and have become a public document. These comments were made by phone and by a co. Coach. They were recorded by the club secretary. The coach who allegedly made those comments is categorically refuting he has said them. But has not answered a letter sent by our solicitor. He was given 7 days to retract and he 5 weeks later not retracted or apologised. the Secretary of the club said at a Co. Board appeal that he was fully behind the statement. If the coach is not engaging who shall take responsibility for the comments...?
Mairead O' Beirne
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What loss have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tarnishing of my good name , depression , I'll - health and hospitalisation. Hurt and mortification on a daily basis as I got a 2 year ban from coaching as a result of an allegation made by this coach . His allegation was part of three daft allegations made against myself and my husband. I'm a teacher of Physical Education with 28 years of impeccable service and this has damaged my reputation.
If you can show you have suffered serious harm and that is the test in Court then you could take it to Court. You would need to issue proceedings specially in the High Court and this is a defamation matter and claims are heard there.
They are specialist proceedings and if defended you are looking at over £15,000 to go to trial. If you do not win or can not prove a direct link and/or serious harm then you would be liable for the costs of the other side, therefore the total exposure is around £30,000 or so.
You wont get legal aid for this as the rules have changed. So if you are sure you can show serious harm and will win then you can issue proceedings in the High Court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not happy with this as I have not heard anything that I did not know already. Please refund.
What else is it you would like to know Do you have a specific question you would like to ask me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I would like a refund immediately.